Study Abroad

Course Approval Guidelines

The departmental Major Advisor grants approval of study abroad courses for MAJORS. Please be aware that approval for college credit does not guarantee that the course can count toward the major. Progress toward fulfillment of major requirements must be specifically monitored/approved by the Major Advisor.

Approval of study abroad courses for NONMAJORS (including MINORS) is granted by the departmental Study Abroad Advisor. Some programs offer a "fixed menu" and all students take the same courses. This does not imply that they will be approved for college or major credit. Always discuss your courses with your advisor(s).

Credits/points: Please keep in mind that the number of credits/points that can be awarded for a particular course is directly related to the amount of in-class instruction hours, number and length of meetings per week, and total number of weeks. However, except in extraordinary circumstances, as a rule Barnard does not grant more than three points per course, even in cases when the study abroad program may have awarded more.

To present a study abroad course for approval, please submit through eBear, or obtain a paper approval form from the Study Abroad Dean's Office. On eBear, make sure you correctly mark your status as major or nonmajor, so that your submission will be forwarded to the right person. Please also provide the appropriate Advisor full syllabi of courses for which approval is requested, as well as brochure descriptions, and as much as you can of the following information, in the program's documentation rather than your own description:

  • Course department/discipline and numbering. Official title and description.
  • Instructor information: title/degrees
  • Number of credits awarded by program. Total number of in-class instruction hours, number of meetings per week, length of meetings, and total number of weeks. Please keep in mind Barnard may not assign the same number of credits as the study abroad program.
  • Percentage of class time conducted entirely in Spanish.
  • Travel or fieldwork associated with course.
  • How evaluation is conducted (number of quizzes, exams, compositions, other elements of grading).
    Amount/length/language of written work required.
  • For language courses: Level of the course, according to American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages proficiency guidelines (elementary, intermediate, advanced, superior), or Common European Frame of Reference Guidelines (A1-2, B1-2, C1-2). If another proficiency framework is used, or none, please detail.
  • For language courses: were any of the four basic language skills (speaking, listening, reading, writing) isolated, or especially emphasized.
  • For literature/culture/upper-level courses: was the focus on Spain, Latin America (single country or global), transatlantic.
  • Please submit also the course numbers and titles of other Spanish courses taken at Barnard. In order to be eligible to study in a Spanish speaking country to should have completed two years (or the equivalent at the college level) of Spanish, regardless of the language of instruction.

Majors/minors: If you find that you need to change your course choices while already abroad, or during a period when you cannot reach an advisor at Barnard, please look at our course-level descriptions under the menu "Courses" (language, bridge/introductory, upper-level). Consider whether your chosen courses would fit within those categories, and always take a course at a level higher than those you've taken before. Study abroad courses that overlap others already taken at Barnard cannot receive credit, even if your program requires them. For example, if the elementary or intermediate levels of a language have already been credited, they cannot be taken again for degree credit.

Interested in teaching English in Spain for 2013?

Teaching English in Spain 2013